Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Monster
Our story begins in a quiet little neighborhood where three children kept a deep dark secret. You see, their mama, when woken too early, was like a raging, ferocious, dangerous beast. Frightening in every way. The children lived in fear of this monster and took every precaution to be quiet in the wee hours of the morning. But one day, they were so delighted in their play (at 6 a.m.) that they forgot to speak quietly. The mama ignored it. Lucky for them, she was exhausted. A few minutes later they started to tease each other and again, there seemed to be no consequences. Maybe, all this time, they had lived in fear of nothing. So, the youngest tried something bold - she stole a toy from her sibling and he responded with a high pitched scream. They had gone too far. The monster emerged from the dark foreboding cavern to find that not only were they teasing their brother, they had taken ALL the bedding off their beds and made a gargantuan mess. The beast lost it... she bellowed and howled and commanded that the disaster be taken care of without delay. But then, something happened to the beast. She was able to fully awaken. Her mind cleared and she realized what a brute she had been. Guiltily, she apologized and helped to clean the mess. Secretly she vowed to go to bed earlier so that the beast within would not rear it's ugly head ever again.
Sigh... do you ever have moments where you loose your cool? :S

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Never. Never do I lose my cool. Well, not since yesterday when The Beast was my daughter who is entering her Terrible 3s in FULL force...

Melissa said...

I've decided that "terrible two's" is a HUGE misnomer... either that or my kids are early bloomers and slow learners - seeing as how my 8 year old still has his "terrible" moments

eve said...

TOO MANY TIMES! And of course when I do I feel like my kids will only remember me as this angry mommy. "I need to go to bed earlier as well," she says with resolve. Let's see if it happens anytime soon.

Maddy said...

I am the bear in the morning too, and as yet I have found no cure. Going to bed early means I wake up earlier and angrier!
Cheers
p.s. let me know when you find out the secret.

Anonymous said...

hi melissa: yes, i have moments when i lose my cool unfortunately. i wrote of one throwing breaking dish moment in my post a little while ago. i am better off boxing than throwing stuff when i am upset/stressed/frustrated/normal/all of the above.

cute story how you wrote it, melissa. don't be too hard on yourself. i like how this guy said something positive in a talk awhile back ... he said i am not up here telling you you're bad for not doing something, i am recommending that "from this point forward," you try to do this action. something like that ... i like how it was/is positive-focused.

so, from this point forward, be strong, be bold, be happy.

take care tonight :)

Heather said...

I loved the fairy tale! I'm constantly having to remind myself that they are only kids and not trying to drive me insane!!

Melissa said...

Thanks everyone... lol... sometimes it's just reassuring to know that I'm not the only one, ya know what I mean?
Oh, and Heather, your kids may not be trying to make you crazy on purpose, but I'm not so sure about mine... :D

PRP said...

I don't know why you guys all struggle so much with this mommy stuff. I've totally got it pegged.

Like this morning, when I yelled "if you hurt the baby again, I'm going to leave marks on your body, marks of pain and bruising and blood."

See what I mean?

Melissa said...

PRP - You've got the parenting thing down! You should teach a class ;)

Anonymous said...

i would sign up for PRP's parenting class definitely! he he