Thursday, April 12, 2007

Guilty as Charged
I'm cheap. I don't buy things for myself unless I can find them at a yard sale or a second hand store. Which means that I have a closet full of ill fitting clothing. It's so hard for me to spend money on clothing for myself. I can buy TONS of stuff for the kids or hubby and not bat an eye. I don't know why. I'm weird. I'm starting to accept that. Yesterday, at Target, I tried on a dress. It was brown and a nice cut. Baby Girl loved it. She cried when I put it back on the rack, "But Momma, it's your Cinderella dress! You look so pretty!!" Real tears run down her face. :S And I start to wonder, am I teaching her something negative here? I didn't feel like I was worth the $25 for the dress. It did look good on me. But I found something wrong with it (decided I didn't like the collar) because I couldn't justify the price. I'm NUTS!! Because, to me, $25 is just too much for a dress. I do this all the time. When I pulled into our garage I cried. Why don't I feel like I'm worth 25 lousy dollars?? I thought about this a lot yesterday... and today I went to Kohl's determined not to leave without at least one item. I found two pairs of shorts, a nice shirt, and two different tank tops to go under my new shirt. I know... I'm a wild woman! LOL But it felt nice to get something new. Something that fit. Something I felt good wearing. Everything was on sale, so that was a plus. And then what did I do? I opened a Kohl's account so that I could get another 15% off. And then I got to scratch a little card, because of said account and I got another 15% off. So, it really wasn't too bad. But, I still want to run back to the store, give all the stuff back, go to the 80% rack and find something out of season, out of style, not my size, but super cheap!

6 comments:

flip flop mama said...

Good for you! I love the way new clothes make me feel. But I'm kinda like you and it takes a lot for me to buy new clothes. I just bought a couple new t-shirts from Target for ten bucks and love them. But I am desperately in need of new clothes for summer. I don't know why it is we feel so guilty buying things for ourselves, but anyone else? No problem.

Melissa said...

Sor me, I think it's a mom thing. I am always afraid that the kids are going to need something. So, if I spend the money on myself, there won't be any money for what they need. Does that make sense? lol

Heather said...

I'm the same way! I hate spending money for clothes, but I love new clothes. So I tend to not buy anything unless it is on the clearance rack too.

Maybe someday I'll get over it.

Anonymous said...

melissa: i can really relate :)

Anonymous said...

I admire your thriftyness. It makes me feel a little guilty.

PRP said...

If for no other reason, just think of the invaluable lesson of teaching your daughter that you are worth your own time, and that you deserve to take care of yourself and not just those around you. YOU DESERVE IT. She needs to see you take care of yourself so that she'll do it too one day.

So, go back and get the dress!!!!