Sunday, April 29, 2007

Big Bear + Small Family = Great Fun
So much fun - I just had to share all these pictures... I know it's a lot, but it was hard to narrow it down! We got there around 9:30 in the morning and started hiking. We saw TONS of lizards along the trail. Red called it "Lizard Heaven" and I think he might be right. They were EVERYWHERE!! The kids loved to chase them around and watch them scatter. That was probably the highlight of the trip for them. Then we had a picnic lunch by the lake and the kids threw rocks in the water. After that we hiked back to the van and went to the other side of the lake for the alpine slide. I don't have any pictures of this because I wasn't sure what I would do with the camera while I was on my sled. It's kind of like a bob sled track that runs down the side of the mountain. You sit on a sled that has wheels and control how fast or slow you go with a lever in the front. If you want to see a few pics from the website(not of our family), you can go here. Red loved it, I rode the first time with Little Bug and he was not to sure of it. He kind of squeaked all the way down. Hubby took him down the second time and he was a little better, but not much. Baby Girl went with Hubby the first time and loved it! I took her the second time on the faster track and she had a ball. First, she talked smack to her older brother by announcing that we were gonna "RUN YOU DOWN! YEAH!!" Then she screamed "faster faster! Catch him! Get him!" all the way down. What she lacks in stature, she makes up for in mouth!! We had to leave early because Red had a birthday party to attend. All in all it was a wonderful day. Great hike, beautiful scenery, happy family, exciting activity and exhausted kids in the end. Who could ask for more??





8 comments:

Heather said...

Looks like fun! I love family day trips!

Anonymous said...

hi melissa: awesome pictures; glad to see you are not really a man pretending to be the awesome Mormon woman blogger who you are! he he. glad you all had a blast. i would have liked seeing the lizards scatter!

i left you another note in your E.T. saturday post, too. church today was beautiful :) take care girlie, kathleen :)

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous, bluebird day! I especially love the picture of the kids crowded around you. :-)

tharker said...

Reading this post made me reminiscant. We lived in Southwestern Colorado as kids, and my Dad used to take us "Lizard hunting" a couple of Saturdays a month. We loved it! My brothers would have been in "Lizard Heaven" right there with your kiddos! We would then have a picnic, and just hang out all day long in the sun. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. I'm glad you had a great family day!

Melissa said...

Heather - it was a lot of fun! Southern California is a great place for day trips!!

Kathleen - LOL - yep, I'm all girl... although my super flat chest might lead some to believe I am a man ;)

Amber - so funny that you mention blue birds... we actually saw some. I tried to get pics, but my zoom isn't that great and they ended up looking like little blobs...

Tharker - did you ever bring any of the lizards home? My kids wanted to SO BAD! Unfortunately for them, Daddy hates all things reptilian. Me? I had lizards growing up - kind of a reversal from the "norm" :)

flip flop mama said...

Family days are so great! Glad you had a fun time!

tharker said...

Oh yes, we had many a lizard in the house growing up. Our favorite was "Sammy", the Collard Lizard. He actually lived at our house for almost a year. Until my younger brother left him outside to sunbathe one day for a little too long. Poor Sammy.

Anonymous said...

hi melissa: lol. i'm all girl, too, but we are on opposite sides of the spectrum. i have too much. sometimes it is hard to find a nice shirt that will button down the front without slightly popping open. but i am me :) no surgery in the forecast ever. i am woman, hear me roar! :) ha

happy day to you and your fam :) kathleen

ps. word verification reminds me of hot stuff :)