Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Which Group are You?
So, it's back to school time and I'm noticing a pretty big difference in the attitudes of the parents across the board. Group one is feelin sad that summer isn't longer. They had a great time with the kids and wish that it could go on and on. Group two is done. School needs to start - NOW. They had a great time this summer too, but summer has gone on long enough!
I find myself in group two most of the time. It's too hot to go out and play. So, we do things inside. A lot. Which means that there is a lot of good playing, that morphs into teasing, that quickly melts into fighting. And I'm left staring at my 3 crying children running to me to tattle on each other as fast as they can(okay... so Little Bug doesn't tattle, but he does join in and have a good cry with the others). We've done some great things this summer. Several trips to the beach. Sea World. The Animal Park. And lots of swimming in the back yard. But I'm done. It's time for school to start. At times I want my kids to stay little forever. Sometimes, I miss having a tiny baby around. But, for the most part though, I like where we are at right now. I'm really enjoying watching them change and grow as they get older. And I like seeing all the amazing things they learn at school. They don't learn quite as much here. It's hard to learn anything at home when you spend most of your time tattling.
So - which group are you in? Do you wish that the summer was a little bit longer? Or are you ready for school to get going?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in group 2, until my little guy started school this week, now sign me up for group 1!

Heather said...

I'm in the group where summer won't end for another two years!

Anonymous said...

I fluctuate violently between the two!
Cheers

elasticwaistbandlady said...

My children are stuck to me like static cling since they homeschoo.. Spending all day, everyday with me. Lucky them!

Sodak and carrot knew about the contest and admired my purdy bracelet and earrings!

elasticwaistbandlady said...

That should read homeschool, not homeschoo.

We're poor, but we only have to pay for vowels not consonants. Pat Sajak rules. L is free.

Melissa said...

cottontales - you've jumped ship, eh? I can understand that... kind of...

heather - you are one of those good moms. Sigh... sometimes I wish I was more like that. Then I hear the screaming...

mcewen - hopefully not too violently ;)

elastic - so glad to see you're back! And I'm glad you wore your jewels :D As for homeschooling or homeschooing, whichever you prefer, I looked into that at one time. I was pretty serious about it. Then Red had to give a talk in Primary. He didn't know what to talk about but he didn't want any help either... yeah. As we fought all of my desire to homeschool left me. You are a brave and strong woman!!!

Carrot Jello said...

I'm in the middle. I get depressed when they leave, but then when they have vacation, I'm like, "go back to school already!"
Anyhoo...you know how many times your name came up this past weekend?
A lot.
Is it Me-Jo-Jacks? Is it Meh-jojacks?
We wondered, and discussed how much we like you and your jewelry. I studied it. ;)

slyn said...

I'm in the second group. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that my kids are so far apart. They don't really fight all that often. I know Julia is better off at school, she actually learns things there, but I miss her!

Melissa said...

carrot - I emailed you :D

slyn - there are times when I wish they are home. Red is a huge help to me. But for the most part... I'm glad!

Jessica said...

I'm in the middle on this one too, I love when they are home and there is playing and fun times but as soon as the fighting starts I think "when is school starting?"