Tuesday, August 28, 2007

No Meat Please
Last night Red made an announcement. I was a little thrown off by this proclamation. He's never had any inclination to live his life this way before. And he's only 8. It seems like an odd decision to make at such a young age. But, he has decided to become a vegetarian. Why? Because he has a tender heart and "doesn't want to eat animals any more". I realize that this is not a bad thing, I'm just a little shocked. This boy loves his hamburgers and hot dogs (of course, we're not sure if these really fall into a category of "meat"). He loves lasagna and spaghetti (both dishes are served with meat in this house). He thoroughly enjoys my chicken enchiladas. We are carnivores. We eat meat. Not tons of it, but we do enjoy it on a fairly regular basis. What I'm getting at is: how do I feed this child? He is not an overly picky eater, when it comes to meat. But there are a lot of veggies he won't eat. He does like some fruit, but the season for varied fruit is coming to a close and he's not a huge apple eater - the fruit of winter. I'm hoping that this is a phase. I don't want to cook two meals every night.... okay, so this whole post is now irrelevant. He has just come in and announced that he will eat meat. Just not deer. No problem. I can't remember the last time I had venison. I wonder, does he get this fickle nature from me? Or from my Hubby? Hmmm... it's a toss up!

6 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Wow - close call there!

Anonymous said...

Aha. I was just putting my thinking cap on because my brother and eldest daughter are both vegetarians.
Problem solved, just don't serve Roast Rudolph instead of turkey at Christmas.
Cheers

Dedee said...

Very funny. Kimberly said I should come meet you.

Hi, I'm Dedee. How are you today?

Heather said...

That was a close call. Glad he changed his mind for the sake of your meal making.

Jenn said...

I think we all go through that at some point, glad he got over it so quick!

... said...

that would have been quite an adjustment for the family. my daughter used to say the same thing when she was young. all i had to do was remind her of all the foods she would no longer be able to eat. she would then decide she didn't really want to be a vegetarian. guess i had it easy.