Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Crazy
I think I may have lost my mind. Red wants to learn the piano. He's asked about it a lot in the last little while. Technically, I can teach him. But, in the past when I've tried to teach him different things, it has not worked out well. We did a preschool group and all the mom's just loved Red. "He listens so well! He does the activities and participates!". As soon as I was the teacher all that goodness went out the window. He sat in time out a lot when preschool was at our house. He didn't want to participate. He was destructive and cried. A lot. He's a lot older now and so he doesn't cry so much, but we still don't always mesh well when I'm trying to teach him. But, we can't pay for piano lessons right now. So, if he's going to learn, it's gonna have to be me. Any thoughts or ideas on how I can make this as painless as possible? I know some of you home school (Hi Elastic :D) and perhaps some of you have taught your kids piano... any tricks you can share would be fantastic! I'm just not sure how to take on the roll of teacher and have him look at me that way? Does that make sense?? The last time I tried to teach him something he got really upset. He wanted to figure it out on his own. We were both frustrated and angry by the end. I want to avoid this. Maybe I'm just weird... well, I am weird. But any thoughts you have on this would be great!

6 comments:

Lee said...

You will do great. Just have patience and pray a lot. If he really wants it make a deal that he has to treat you like a teacher. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

Your 'comments' on you new post won't function, but I wanted to celebrate with you. Words and signs - what a trooper!

I used to play the piano [previous life] and I could certainly teach a youngster. Whether I could teach my own is quite a different matter. There again I taught my oldest daughter to drive! [stick shift]
I'll anything a go once, what have you got to lose apart from your ear-drums!

By the way, if it's any consolation, I had to wait 7 and a half years for my son to tell me that. 18 months on, of course he's never said it again!
Cheers

Heather said...

You may as well give the teaching a go. He may surprise you, and if not, he may decide he wants to wait to learn to tickle the ivories. :)

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Mom as teacher isn't an easy thing to pull off - it's not just you!

I agree with Lee, see if you can cut a deal with you. Maybe even develop a Mrs. So-and-So persona for your lessons. Dress up in a fun costume even. =P

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Since he's the one who wants to learn, let him lead you on the pace. Set goals for him to reach for rewards, but don't be the one to force him to practice. Just suggest. Also, have him record himself to see how he sounds and where he can improve, once he's onto real songs.

My son excelled so much at piano, and sped through book after book, and then, when times got a little harder, balked at practicing altogether. I have since given up on him playing right now, but hope to reintroduce it again, with similar rewards as I said above.

And how about a recital in 6 months or a year? Invite family over for a mini party for him to play 3 or 4 songs. It helps to have a goal.

slyn said...

I know exactly what you mean!! I had looked in to doing home school at one time, but Julia and I just do not have that type of relationship. She thinks I'm a complete moron. We really struggled with me helping her with homework etc. It's better now that she is older, she tolerates me. Good luck is all I can really tell you!