Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Princess Dress
This is how the sewing process works for me:
  1. Get a pattern that has the word "easy" or "simple" somewhere on it. (Yes, I know that this pattern is for pj's... but it will work as a princess dress... I couldn't find an "easy" pattern for a REAL princess dress...). Measure Baby Girl to see which size will work best.

  2. Let Baby Girl pick out fabric and trim that doesn't clash too badly

  3. Start sewing till I get frustrated and think "Who decided this pattern was easy??" (I had to unpick the ties on the side because I had sewn them in with the right side facing down... which is really my fault because the pattern doesn't even call for ties.... grrr)

  4. Put everything away before I want to throw the whole thing in the trash. I still have to put the sleeves in and hem the darn thing.

I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow.

Something that I forgot to remind myself of while we were buying fabric - don't pick stuff that fray's easily. It's hard to sew with (for me) and makes a mess. As I'm looking at my tiny girl, I'm noticing that this dress is gonna be big. Even though I checked and double checked the size, it's gonna be really really big (which is why I put the ties in). She will be able to wear it for at least two years. I did have one bright spot in this sewing mania... Baby Girl came in after I had gotten some of the trim on the front and informed me that it was "OH! SO! BEAUTIFUL!!" She knows how to get what she wants. A compliment here, a little flattery there...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks great to me! I think we're our own worst critics. The main thing is that she loves it!

Yvonne said...

It looks wonderful and she'll absolutely love it. Good for you.

Jean Knee said...

what a sweetie, my Lean always says "it looks weird" no matter what it is
the blue is good, she can be cinderella

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

What a beautiful colour!

Isn't it great to be appreciated? Smart, smart girl...

Dedee said...

Never trust the measurements on the back of the pattern. Look at the finished measurements instead.

There's my tidbit of advice for you.

Madam Crunchypants said...

Looks lovely! (Kim and her links of doom sent me this direction)

If only you lived in my town, I could teach you an ultra sneaky way to do sleeve. It's super ultra sneaky and easy. But I have no idea how to explain it.