Monday, June 04, 2007

Whirling Vortex of Terror
Have you ever made a decision and then regretted it later? When I had my idea I thought, "Hey! That will be great! I think I'll head off and do that right now!" I was excited. I was sure that this was going to be a wonderful thing. Yeah, I was wrong. What was this wonderful thing, you ask? Well, I decided to take a nap. On a weekend. With all my kids home. Unsupervised. Because, you see, hubby fell asleep too. The children saw their opportunity and attacked. Their tactical maneuvers are unprecedented. They are cunning, stealthy, and, when they know they are getting away with something, they are quiet. Unnaturally silent. You see, all of our toys are separated into different boxes. You want dinosaurs, here's the box! Animals? No problem - check out this tub here! So, while hubby and I were comatose they opened every stinkin box of toys in the house. They didn't play with any of them. Just got each container ajar and removed the contents. Because that's what they do. Now, I would love to say that we have very few toys. But that is a total fib. We have lots. I had a missionary in my home one time who asked if we ran a daycare. Yeah. I have my reasons for the toys. You see, Little Bug doesn't really play with toys. He drags them around the house stimming (shaking them in front of his face). So, I'm always searching for that magical toy. The one that he will play with appropriately. The one that will encourage him to speak more. The one that will change our lives forever. Okay, so, maybe that's a little much to expect from a toy. But, I still continue to search for something that he will actually play with. Needless to say, we have boxes and boxes of failed attempts. I have a hard time getting rid of anything because they were EXPENSIVE!! Gosh darn it! And who knows? Maybe someday he will be interested... ANYWAY, the afore mentioned boxes are empty. K-NEX, Littlest Pets, play food, balls, Weebles, horses, dinosaurs, animals, super heroes... you name it... it's on my floor. That nap cost me dearly. So, I may have to just throw everything away. It will be easier than sorting and getting everything back in the right boxes. So, if you're in to dumpster diving, Thursday is our garbage day. There should be a fairly decent selection of toys in there. Have at it!

9 comments:

flip flop mama said...

Or you could have a garage sale! Throw all those toys into one big bin and let everyone else rifle through them, plus you may make some money! :)

Sorry about the mess, man...

eve said...

I'm compulsive about throwing toys away. I hate when toys are disorganized because the kids won't play with them as much. My kids really don't play with them at all. They like our couch cusions better.

Maddy said...

Oh yes. We used to have a 'system' and a vaguely organised house, but after one afternoon with a babysitter [bless her cotton socks] and attempting to 'play' with every single thing in the house....result chaos.
I put everything in bin bags and stuck them in the garage. We are devoid of toys and try and go through a bag a day. - tempting to just take all the black bags out to the rubbish though!
Cheers

Jessica said...

Oh I feel for you! I finally just let my kids go thru and get rid of what they don't play with. Now we do it every year the first week in December, to make room for the toys that santa brings. (the more they give away the more they will get, at least that is what we tell them!) And we give the old toys to kids who might not get any. Makes them feel good and I get my sanity back.(for a while anyway!)

Unknown said...

OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! This is the exact reason I nap with both monitors on HIGH VOLUME!!

Anonymous said...

big time bummer, melissa! sorry! but i like the garage sale idea.

~take care girl, kathleen :)

Anonymous said...

one more thing ... i love what you wrote on my blog this morning! you made my day! can you see the smile that is still on my face because of you?!

~thank you my friend, you are so good to me, totally appreciate you, ttfn, kathleen :)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I have a video that will completely change your life. You'll be able to nap without fear. You can once again take long lingering baths with your eyes closed. Yes, look at these nifty glasses in the Make A Little Birdhouse In Your Soul video. I recommend you buy TWO pair so you can have eyes on the back of your head too. Your kids will be muttering "we can't get away with nothing because mommy never sleeps," very soon.

Justine said...

Melissa, I soo feel for ya. Toys are the bane of my existence. I long ago let go of the guilt about throwing expensive stuff away, and it was one of the most liberating decisions of my life. I now feel free to throw nearly anything away!

you can do it! Hang in there.