Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hiccups
I think that everyone has a "cure" for hiccups. I was thinking of some of the ones that I know this morning as my insides went into spasms every few seconds. Then I remembered a time when Dh had the hiccups. We had only been married for a short time. One night we were getting ready for bed and he got a really violent case of the hiccups. They shook his body with each one and they were kinda loud. I teasingly told him that he could get rid of them by opening his mouth really big. And it came. The Grand-daddy of all hiccups. The apartment rattled from the force and volume of this thing! I stared at him and then... we heard it. His hiccup had been SO LOUD that it woke the neighbor's baby up! I laughed and laughed while he scowled at me and the neighbor lady desperately tried to get her infant to fall back asleep. Ahh... good times :)

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I can't even imagine a hiccup that loud! Poor guy.

My tried and tested cure is to have someone honestly offer me a buck to hiccup again. I'll get so fixated on producing another hiccup that I won't be able to. Works about 90% of the time.

Shelah said...

When we were first married, we had a Chinese neighbor next door, who would start each day at 5:30am, hocking up loogies for at least ten minutes. I can still hear that "huuuuuk, huuuuuk, huuuuk" sound when I think back to that first apartment. I'm sure he was a lot more annoying than your husband's hiccup. It's funny the dumps we live in when we're newlyweds.

Melissa said...

Sarah - dh will now lay down in a dark room and mentally WILL the hiccups to go away!! It seems to work for him, so whatever! I've used the hiccup now thing on my kids. Turn it into a game... I'll say, "Okay... hiccup right now... no, now! Okay... NOW!" It usually works for them too :)

Shelah - that is so gross!! LOL We did live in some pretty nasty places as newlyweds. Our worst was probably the one that was above some businesses and across the street from a dance club... not a good place!!

Shirlee said...

My cure for hiccups is to drink a tall glass of water (on the warm side). Just chug it and hopefully when you're done the hiccups are gone. My DH had them really bad once (for a couple days straight) and the hospital gave him a shot and that was it.

Shelah's neighbor story wins top prize for grossness. Ick, having to listen to that every morning.

Melissa said...

Shirlee - a shot? Really? I have never heard of that! A shot of what?

Anonymous said...

I remember eating dinner at my cousin's house. The moment the conversation came to a lull, I opened my mouth to speak and out came a huge hiccup. It was soooo ladylike.

Melissa said...

Bex - at least it wasn't a belch... which, of course, would have been MORE lady like :)