Friday, July 06, 2007


This week's theme is "fake". Now, I've blogged before about how I like to quilt. I enjoy piecing everything together and watching as the design unfolds. It is very satisfying to me... unless it's 118 degrees outside. Then, sitting with piles of fabric all over me is almost unbearable! Yes we have air conditioning, but it still makes me super warm to be sitting there with half a blanket covering me. It's uncomfortable. I get cranky. Then I make mistakes... which makes me MORE cranky.
So, when I heard that my sister was going to have a baby girl I said, "Hey, I'm going to piece quilt for your new baby!!" I made one for her first daughter, it only seems fair that this little darlin should have one too. But, I committed myself to this back in April/May when it wasn't so hot. The baby is due in September. I started a blanket... messed up the pattern, picked it all out, tried again, got way too warm and way too cranky, messed it up again and threw the darn thing across the room. Then, I loaded Baby Girl into the car, headed to the fabric store and bought a "fake" home made quilt:
Now, TECHNICALLY, I probably could have made this. BUT I DON'T WANT TO! And gosh darn it, that panel is stinkin cute! So, there you have it. Please don't ask me if I'm going to tell her the truth about where this came from. I don't like to lie... but I will... if you make me.

10 comments:

Jean Knee said...

it may be fake but its just the thing for a new baby girl

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I'm a lazy quilter and I only make crazy quilts because I hate measuring stuff out. This makes for a very interesting pile of scrap craps bits and pieces!

Sweet blankie!

Mark said...

Shhhh i wont say anything..

Michele said...

Ok, that is exactly what I would've done. That's really cute!

Andree said...

And you will be making plenty more quilts! I am so sorry you are suffering through a heat spell. I watch the news in horror at this heat spell. Take care while it is there!

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I found you via Annie and I'm always happy to meet another quilter. That is soooo cute! And now you've got me in the mood again. I've been a little bummed about the heat, but since my sewing room is in the basement, I think I've just realized where I will spend the rest of the hot summer!

Becky said...

That is adorable! I love it!

Justine said...

Did you not still have to put it together!? You had to get batting, tie it all up (or stitch it, even MORE work!) It is still a blanket, made with love. No fake there, honey. It's wonderful!

I really like to quilt, too, I'd love to see some of your other creations!

alisonwonderland said...

i think it's darling! she's going to love it - and no one will ever know it's "fake"! :)

Kris said...

So... Trying to hide secrets from your sister, huh? Did you think I wouldn't find out? I always had a way of finding stuff out, didn't I? I love it! It's so cute! I don't see it as cheating because it's more than I would do! I'm not as crafty as you! Thanks! The baby will love it!!!