Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Harry Potter : Deathly Hallows
If you are not done with the book DO NOT READ THIS POST!! Stop right now! I'm going to talk about the book... in detail. This will ruin it for you if you read this post... you've been warned... I take no responsibility... okay?! Spell check is gonna hate this post...
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
~~
Okay... here we go! I have so many mixed feelings about this book! So, I'm going to talk about the things that really disappointed me first... there were a lot more deaths of what I would consider "main characters" than I had been led to believe. JK Rowling said that there would be 2 main characters that would die. And yes, I'm gonna count Hedwig in this. She's been there for Harry when he thought everyone else was gone. Then there was Mad Eye and I thought "Wow - she killed off those 2 main characters pretty quick!" But then she killed off Dobby. And I bawled like a baby. Never saw that coming. Not in a million years. Then, the jerk killed off Fred and I really cried! Hubby thought I was going crazy. That death was followed by Snape's - which made me sad because I always believed that he really was working for Dumbledore... then we have Lupin and Tonks! And that just made me mad. She created ANOTHER ORPHAN! Grrr... then, of course, Voldemort! Good bye to the bad guy! But I was so disappointed that so many of these characters were gone. Sigh. I was also disappointed in the epilogue. I want to know where George is. What does Harry and Ron do for a living? And all of the kids had great names... but where was little Fred?!? I was also frustrated with some of the language. :( There's been occasional cussin in the others, but more mild words. And if they did say something really bad she described it as "colorful words" or something like that.
Okay... there are more things that bothered me... but... onto what I loved! I WAS RIGHT! WAHOOO!!! If you will go to this post here you will see that I TOTALLY predicted the thing about the locket! And that it was Regulus (sp??) Ha! Fantastic! :) And I loved that Harry was nice to Kreacher and that Kreacher ended up helping them out so much! I loved the end battle where just about everything in the school marched against the bad guys (including the desks!) and the main bad guy - who is a coward - hid. I love that Snape was a good guy and that the last thing he wanted to see before he died was Harry's eyes... which, as we know from all the other books, were his mothers. I love that Neville pulled that sword out of the hat and took care of the last horocrux! And I love that he totally transformed into this super leader! So awesome! I love that when Ron left and then came back, Hermoine didn't run to him and hug and kiss him (which is what I was expecting). Oh no, she beat the crap outta him! Oh yeah... lol...
Okay... I'm done for now. More things that I'd like to write about, but this is already stinkin long! I'm excited because Hubby has REFUSED for YEARS to even touch these books... and now he's reading them!! Finished book one last night! :D So... tell me! What did you love? What did you hate? Did you have any burning questions left after reading this one? If so... share and maybe we can figure it out together!! :D

5 comments:

Erin said...

But I wanted her to beat the crap out of him THEN kiss him! That's what should've happened. I think no matter what we were going to want more ending. Obviously people like you and me have invested some good years of our lives into this kid. And now it's over. No more stories about Harry. That's the most disappointing part for me.

flip flop mama said...

Well, I finished it yesterday and was so glad that Harry killed Voldemort. I never bought into the hype that they both would die, and frankly couldn't see her ending it that way. I'm so glad that him and Ginny got married and Ron and Hermione also. I was hoping like eve that she would kiss Ron after she beat the crap out of him too! but was so glad when they finally did. I was really sad when all the people died--Lupin and Tonks just when things were going so well for them and Fred too! Ohhh, my heart ached for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley! So much has happened to their family. BUT she might not have had the fight in her to kill off that evil Belatrix though. Oh I hated her!! Especially when we got to see her in the movie. What a wretched woman! I thought this was the most emotional book of them all. Not as much action I guess as I was expecting...there was a lot of time with them in the forest and stuff, but I thought that it was just more of a feeling book through most of it. I didn't feel the suspense that I did reading the other books, but I still really enjoyed it. I think I might read it again just a little more slowly to get the full effect again. Sorry I wrote a novel!!

Justine said...

I really always thought that the only way to properly develop Harry's growth and do justice to the plot would be for Harry to die, but I didn't thing she would dare kill him off in a children's book. I liked the way she found to do both -- let him choose to make the sacrifice his mother made for him, and still get's to live from it!

I was also glad about Snape, although I wish they would have had a longer conversation. Clear the air, so to speak.

I've actually started reading it again. The first time through, I was just so anxious to get all the plot ingested, I need to read it again so I can enjoy it!

slyn said...

I want to read it again too, but I let my MIL borrow it! Now I have to wait! Yikes!!
I completely enjoyed and loved this book. I think it may be my favorite as well. I have to read it again before I decide to knock POA off my top spot though.
A couple things that really bugged me were- Expelliarmus?? That's Harry's big move? He's going up against the most evil wizard of all time with expelliarmus?? I would really have loved to see more growth and development in his magical skills. His parents were both supposed to be such great wizards, I would have liked to see more. Yeah I know he did the Patronus, but I would have liked to see more remarkable spell casting.
I was really surprised by who she chose to kill off. Hedwig was a shocker to me as well, reacted the same way you did Melissa, Mad Eye didn't really mind that one. Cried about Dobby too- totally didn't see that one coming. Fred was sooo sad! And Tonks and Lupin I was expecting one of them to die, but not both of them. I just think it was incredibly rude to make an orphan out of poor Teddy and to kill of the last remaining tie Harry had to someone close to his parents. I am saying waaay too much, sorry!

David said...

I have to admit I thought it was awesome when Mrs. Weaslry whips out her wand and attacks Bellatrix! I am man enough to admit that I could have finished sooner if I hadn't cried through the whole end. I was so exstatic that I was right about Snape! I cried that I was right about that. I cried that Harry was strong enough to be willing to die. I thought it was cool that it was kind of a Chronicles of Narnia /Biblic moment to have Harry come back from death because he willingly died for the greater good. I guess I wasn't bothered by the bloodbath-anything else would have been dishonest!