Friday, March 14, 2008

Food, Glorious Food
We had a dinner for the women at our church tonight and I was in charge of bringing the salad. At first, they just wanted to buy big bags of the premade iceberg salad stuff. Yum... crunchy water. That is what is what iceberg lettuce tastes like to me. I dislike that taste. Immensely. And so, I suggested a spinach strawberry salad. Always divine, but no one wanted to spend an afternoon slicing strawberries... but, um, I really wanted that salad! So, I said I'd do it. And they were willing to eat it as long as I was willing to make it.
So, Baby Girl and I headed to Costco today to buy strawberries and spinach. The strawberries looked AMAZING!! I bought two containers of berries. We have sooooo many left over! Anyone want to join me for some strawberry shortcake tomorrow?
And the dinner tonight? SUPERB! It was so tasty! Would you like to see it??
The theme for the night was "Love is a Verb". Hence, all the hearts. The soup was tomato... and it was wonderful... they used canned soup and mixed it with half and half instead of water. Then they added fresh basil and threw in a home made heart shaped crouton... very yummy. The sandwiches had a chicken salad spread in one and a tuna with sun dried tomatoes in the other. Again, delicious. And my little salad... well, doesn't it just look fabulous?
What's that you say? You'd like the recipe for the wonderful salad? Well, I'd be happy to share it with you!
Spinach Strawberry Salad
1 1/2 bags baby spinach - rinsed and drained
1 pint strawberries, washed and sliced
Dressing:
2 T. sesame seeds
1 T. poppy seeds
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. minced onion
1/4 t. paprika
1 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. white vinegar
Mix ingredients for dressing, toss with spinach and serve with berries on top. You can mix the berries into the salad, but they tend to sink to the bottom. Also, once you put the dressing on, you have to eat the salad pretty soon. This is not one you can make ahead. The spinach wilts too fast.
And WAH-LAH! There you have it! A wonderful salad that will tickle your taste buds and satisfy your tummy! Let me know if you try it out and what you think.

18 comments:

Yvonne said...

Looks like a delicious dinner What a great theme.

I've had a salad very similar and it is one of my favorites.

(by the way, I'd love to come and join you for strawberry shortcake ; )

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

It all looks delicious! I'm with Yvonne, I'll join you for strawberry shortcake. (I'll bring the homemade pound cake...)

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I loooove strawberry and spinach salad. I love it even more when someone else makes it!

... said...

i've had this salad before and yes, it's very yummy. but i've never had the recipe, so now i do - thanks. everything looks so nice. good job :]

and if i lived anywhere near you, i'd be there for the shortcake.

Randi said...

mmmmmm... strawberry anything!!

Jen said...

that does look just divine.

Jillybean said...

Yummy! Yummy!
I also have a similar recipe, but yours looks a bit easier, I'll have to try it.

I love how the sliced strawberries followed the theme by looking like little hearts!

Tonya said...

That looks delicous. I've never had strawberries with spinach. I'm going to have to try it.

Bonnie the Boss said...

You make me smile. You are sweet to go the extra mile to make the meal even more special & attractive.
It looks delicious.
Bonnie

Holly Homemaker said...

I've always wanted a recipe for a spinach strawberry salad. Glad I found one that's tried and true. I'm always on the look out for good salad recipes!

Tammy and Parker said...

So how many WW points have we got going here?

Unknown said...

I have this recipe and it is ALWAYS a hit. Guess I'm not the only one who knows about it. :-)

Adena and Greg said...

I'm so sorry I missed it! It looks like the whole thing went great. I've had a similar salad before. If you like nuts you should try added toasted almonds or carmelized pecans (my favorite). It makes for a great contrast.

Nancy Face said...

The dinner DOES look fantastic! I love Spinach Strawberry salad, and I didn't have a recipe, so thank you so much! :)

i said...

YUM! Looks so fancy! I know why they didn't want to make the salad...Looks like they went all out on all the other stuff!

Jean Knee said...

I like themed dinners, especially those cooked by others, not me

Doran & Jody said...

Looks delish!!! My daughter is coming to town this weekend. How bout you make a little jaunt over and make this for the shower were giving her....since your a pro and all. yummy. I can almost taste it now.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

What a cute enrichment idea! I love the heart theme and all of the food sounds delish! Your salad sounds amazing.