Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Oh the Noise!
I'm still not feeling real great... but I'm awake. Why am I awake? Well because of the parties, of course! My neighbors right next door have been carrying on a VERY loud conversation for the last while. Anyone interested in a transcript? I could provide a word for word run down if you'd like.
And then we have the battle of the bands going on somewhere else in the neighborhood. Someone has a live band in their backyard for the festivities. Someone else has a pretty amazing sound system with a stack of loud obnoxious music for their party. When one song gets a little louder than the other, then they CRANK up the volume on the other song so that it's louder than the first. It goes back and forth and back and forth like this... I fully expect the windows in my home to shatter at any moment. I can hear them vibrating.
Also, we are unplugging our phones. Why, you ask? Well, let me tell you. We live in a gated community. If you don't have a little clicker thing (think garage door opener) to open the gate you have to stop at a kiosk sort of thing and enter a code. If you don't have a code you have to call a home in the community through the little kiosk thing and ask them to ring you in. Somehow we have the great misfortune of being at the top of the list on the kiosk. So, on EVERY major holiday and most weekends we get phone calls in the middle of the night from drunk people who can't remember their codes and so they call the first number they find: ours. If I answer, I won't open it. Hubby will. He's kind to those in need - even if those needs are self inflicted. I, on the other hand, hope that they puke on themselves waiting for someone to open the gate. But not tonight... I'm unplugging the phone and that's will be the end of that. So, if you need to contact me between 12:30 and about 7:30 AM (Pacific time), you're out of luck. Please hang up and dial again!
I hope your New Years Celebrations were wonderful and that you don't have neighbors like mine.... unless, you are the neighbors that are partying it up. Then, all I have to say to you is: SHUT UP AND GO TO BED! IF YOU WAKE MY KIDS UP AGAIN I'M GONNA START THROWING THINGS AT YOU*! HEAVY THINGS**, FOLLOWED BY SHARP THINGS***, FOLLOWED BY HEAVY SHARP THINGS****!!!
Just call me the New Year's Grinch. Now, I'm going to try and sleep. I'm going to set up fans in my kids rooms to create some "white noise" and hopefully they will get back to sleep through all the commotion. Then I'll try to sleep myself. If my attempts at sleep fail then I'll start making an account of all heavy, sharp objects in my home*****.
Happy New Year!
* I throw like a girl... thus, any object that I tried to throw would never hit the mark
** I am weak. I can barely lift heavy things, let alone throw them.
*** I am clumsy. I wouldn't throw sharp things for fear of hurting myself.
**** Please see the last two statements on this subject.
***** No neighbors were harmed in the making of this post. Oh, and by the way, if you don't understand the sarcasm of a tired, sick, annoyed momma, please find another blog to read. Again, Happy New Year!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. Can't people understand that not everyone wants to stay up till midnight? hee hee

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

LOL! We were pretty fortunate this year, no wild parties anywhere in the vicinity. I hope you were able to get some sleep! Happy New Year!

Ally said...

You're awesome! I'm Grincho this year too, too sick to care about the New Year.

(Hope you got some sleep!)

Anonymous said...

I was so glad this year that a family with kids moved in next door and the college kids moved out.

tharker said...

Holy cow girl, you are funny!!!

Hope you got lots of sleep last night, and have a Happy New Year!

Jean Knee said...

teenagers in our neighborhood started a fire with their fireworks and the fire dept had to come out. Then later, we(adults) started a fire with our fireworks. good times .. at least we had a hose handy

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I miss you. Why couldn't we have been sick at the same time, hmm? Slacker, putting it off till now. Pfft.

Sorry your neighbours are twits. I'd be grinchy too! We're lucky to live in an area where each property is about an acre, so we can't hear much of the goings on next door. Thanks for making me feel extra special grateful for that.

Happy New Year!

Yvonne said...

Love your last disclaimer!!!

I hope you got some rest today and that 2008 is a great year for you and your family.

wynne said...

Oh dear. Hopefully by now you've gotten some sleep?

Your neighborhood sounds very...lively. Again, you should come and visit me. I think I heard a firework last night, but that was about it.

Hope you're feeling better!

Nancy Face said...

I'm sorry you had to endure that while feeling sick...UGH! I love your sarcasm, haha!

Our back fence neighbors shot off TONS of fireworks, and some were ending up in our yard. Arizona is very dry, and fireworks are absolutely illegal, and I wanted to call the cops on them...but my hubby is nicer than me, so we didn't. And they didn't end up burning our house down.

FEEL BETTER SOON!

Tonya said...

LOL...funny post.

Well, I hope you are feeling better and I can relate to be sick and a bit grouchy on New Years Eve. We just watched a movie and called it a night. I guess we got off lucky with just a few fireworks. Of course, we sleep in a sound vortex with the fan and sleep machine so who knows what was going on next door..:o) Happy New Year my friend.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Our neighbors tacked on a "Party Patio" this summer. It's right outside my bedroom. They put it to use New Years night with the BOOM BOOM BOOM bass thumping sound system and rowdy teenagers and fireworks and everything. Between them and my dog barking AT them, it was unpleasant.

I like your cranky side, Melissa. It's funny.

... said...

you crack me up.

i think i would unplug my phone, too.

i hope 2008 is a wonderful year for you and your family - full of love, hope, and joy.