Sunday, May 13, 2007

Crazed Consumption
So, you may have noticed in my last post that I mentioned reading as a bad habit. I know a lot of people that think they don't get enough time to read. Me? I make my family insane with my "Just let me finish this page...(or chapter or book or series... )". For example, in the last week and a half I have read "All Moms Go To Heaven" - it's around 100 pages. "The Count of Monte Cristo" - which was approximately 580 pages. And I'm almost finished with "Strangling Your Husband is NOT an Option" -about 175 pages. I am not saying this to boast or brag because it really is a curse. I become EXTREMELY neglectful of my housework. Don't believe me?? I will be doing laundry today. It will take me all day and well into the night. I have at least 8 loads to do and the bedding really should be washed... :S My reading causes me to leave projects unfinished. My children don't get as much attention and neither does my husband. They aren't totally neglected, but I'm not really giving my all either. I can't seem to find a good balance. It's all or nothing with me. I will go for months without picking up a book. I just don't do it. But when I do, look out. I just read abridged versions of "The Scarlet Pimpernel" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" a few weeks ago. You should see my night stand. It is stacked high with books I want to read... "Harry Potter" books 5 and 6 (even though I read them in January...gotta reread them before the last book comes out in July) "War of the Worlds", "Thomas Paine: Common Sense and Other Writings", "A Peculiar People", "No Doubt About It", "Mere Christianity" AND "Isiah for Airheads" :) I want to read them all! So my question is, how do you balance the things you love with the things that are necessary? Do you set aside a certain amount of time each day or each week to do the things that you want to do? I have a hard time putting a good book down. I wish I could say the same about my laundry :S

5 comments:

wynne said...

Books are great! (And isn't everything in this life about balance? And how I can't seem to find any?)

Don't know if you care or not, but there is an online book club link from my blog...if you care. I'm always reading something. Keeps me sane. (As sane as I get, anyway)

Anonymous said...

hi melissa: i loved "no doubt about it." i have noticed that "strangling your husband is not an option." did you love it? do you recommend it.

there is not enough time to do everything in life. we can fit in the "big rocks" first, then take turns fitting in the rest of it. don't be so hard on yourself. you looked totally cute walking through the tunnel that day recently with your kiddos. you remember. the picture that looked kind of ufo-ish. you know how to have fun and meaningful moments with those you love, so relish that. ~take care tonight, kathleen :)

eve said...

The fact that you want to find a balance is a good thing. Some days I can't do it. I just can't be a homemaker, and I check out. The kids and hubby get irritable, the house is a wreck, but then the guilt kicks in and with it a cleaning frenzy, which last 2 maybe 3 days at the most, and then I shut down again. We wouldn't be good for eachother!

Melissa said...

Wynne - I just might go find the book you are reading... what is the criteria for your books? Just stuff that you love? Or do you look for specific kinds of books? Just curious...

Kathleen - I have enjoyed "Strangling your husband is not an option"... but I wouldn't reccommend reading it on Mother's Day... made me feel like I could never do enough :S

Eve - see, if we did live closer, I think we'd be great friends! The chances are we would have our non-cleaning times on different days. So we could encourage each other. And on the days that we were both feeling blah - we could watch "The Office" reruns or blooper reels on YouTube :D

Jessica said...

I have had to resort to making MYSELF a chore chart, there are about 3 to 4 things on it each day except Sunday, Nothing on that day! and only one on Monday~Laundry that is a big enough chore that I only have to do only one chore that day! I find myself getting the "chores" done faster cause I know as soon as they are done I can focus on the kids then have a little reading time for myself! Sounds weird but it really works for me.