Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Patience
These pictures are from the Portland, OR zoo. It is an awesome zoo and we went there several times a year when we lived in Oregon. They have a butterfly house open during the summer months. My parents came with us one time and paid for us to get into the butterfly exhibit (it wasn't included in the price of the ticket to get in - go figure). My oldest was so excited. He just knew that a butterfly would land on him. His first attempts were met with little success as he tried to leap into the path of a flying butterfly. Usually the creature would slowly float up to the ceiling or behind a bush as far away from my son as possible. But he didn't give up. He followed them all over the tent almost willing one to land on him. Still no butterfly. By this time, my dad and I had both had several land on us. My dad, Pop Pop to my kids, took my carrot top by the hand and sat him on the bench. Told him to sit as still as he could. I think he may have stopped breathing for a few minutes so that he could be totally still. You could see the pleading in his eyes. And then it happened. A big ol' orange butterfly landed right on his chest. He was very still for just a second and then his excitement got the best of him and he bounced a little trying to make sure that all of us saw what was happening. Away it flew. Most kids would have probably pouted or been upset. But carrot top just sighed, and held still again. Lo and behold, the next butterfly came. He wouldn't even turn his head to look at it. Just glanced out of the corner of his eye. Now, if I could just get him to be as patient with his brother and sister as he was with the butterflies, we would be set!

No comments: