Friday, January 26, 2007


In the Groove
Today was cleaning day. Baby girl has been sick most of the week (she still is, but getting better) and so I have put off every possible chore that I could. I did do laundry, but only because I didn't have any clean clothes. Not even pajamas (for those of you who know me, you know that I am the PROUD owner of more that 10 pairs of pj pants...). Anyway, today, she is feeling better and I wasn't following her around with a puke bucket or a tissue, so I decided to scrub. As I was scrubbing I was listing off all the chores that I hate to do. I hate laundry. I don't mind throwing it in the washer or dryer, but I hate folding it. It never ends. I listened to motivational speaker one time (Emily Watts) and she talked about how you can never be done with laundry because you are, at this very moment, wearing potential laundry. Sigh. I also hate cleaning bathrooms. There are 3 boys in this house. Enough said. But I think my least favorite task is cleaning the kitchen table. Now, for most people, this is not a terrible chore. But I have a groove. It is kind of shown in the picture above. When we bought the table I thought that the groove was a wonderful detail that gave the piece "character". Phoey on "character"! Do you know how much crud get stuck in that darn thing? I find myself pulling out an arsenal of utensils to try and clean the thing! First, I VACUUM it out! How many of you can say that you vacuum your dining room table on a regular basis? Then I take an medicine dropper and squirt water into the groove. Then I let it soak. Then I take a toothpick or a table knife and scrape the crud outta there. That is the last time I buy furniture because it has "character"!

3 comments:

Shirlee said...

The coffee table that I bought at the thrft store has the dreaded groove in it. I too have to vacuum it out. What about using a damp cotton swab and wiping it out? I hear ya on the bathroom cleaning and having males. Wait until the teens years! It'll get worse. :)

Anonymous said...

This gave myself and a co-worker a good laugh! No buying furniture with "character"...got it!

Melissa said...

LOL - Shirlee, I'm not looking forward to the teen years... lol... I have used a cotton swab on the furniture before, but doesn't always work when you've got jam or syrup stuck in there. Sigh...lol

Traci - HEY!! Glad you commented! "Character" is good for many things... just not furniture! :)