Thursday, February 28, 2008

Allrecipes.com
Some of you requested the brownie recipe I used for the Great Brownie Experiment. I have to tell you, it's not my recipe. It's one that I got from allrecipes.com. Have you ever been to that site? It's fantastic! Anyone can submit a recipe and then people can come back, after trying the recipe and review it, explain any substitutes or variations they tried, and then rate it.
So, when I was looking for a brownie recipe, I looked for one with more than 4 stars and that had lots of reviews. This one has 4 1/2 stars and has been rated almost 2,000 times! And a lot of the reviews were very positive. So we gave it a shot and everyone loves these brownies. Here is the recipe, just in case the links don't work, but I would suggest going to the site if you want to print the recipe up. They have different formats for printing...
Best Brownies
1/2 cup butter (I use margarine)
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour (I only grease) an 8" square pan.
In a large saucepan melt 1/2 cup butter. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla. Beat in cocoa, flour, salt and baking powder. Spread batter into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes - do not overcook
There is a frosting recipe, but I'm not going to put it on here because I've never used it and so I have no idea how it will turn out. If you do try the frosting, let me know how it turns out!

I will say that when I'm melting the butter, I throw in a handful of milk chocolate chips. It makes them a little fudgier and chewier. If you decide to do it in the mini muffin pans, reduce the heat to 325 and then cook for 15-20 minutes. But, honestly, we probably won't do it in the mini muffin tins again. They just didn't cook up the same...
Let me know if you try the recipe out and what you think of it!

10 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Mmmm....I'm drooling here babe!

i said...

Thanks...Now I'll need to make them! The only problem is not eating too many of them.

Ally said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks good. :)

Yvonne said...

Thanks, Melissa. They sound delicious. Can't wait to try them.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I have a no-fail brownie recipe that I love because it's cake-like and not the crusty, chewy kind.

And no, Little Debbie has nothing to do with my special brownies.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Speaking of special brownies.....I've been in the church for 10 years. I've heard the poop in the brownies allegory about a zillion times.

My oldest told me they did the brownie poop thing again just a few weeks ago in a combined youth activity.

Originality counts, people.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

And I like this template MUCH better than the brick thing that I couldn't even read the text without straining my eyes. Not that you asked, but you know.

Busy Bee Lauren said...

I have never made homemade brownies before, but I'm going to!!!!

Nancy Face said...

I'm a lazy bum...I just buy mix, tee hee! :)

... said...

what!? you can make brownies without a box? jk. i haven't made brownies from scratch in a long time. these sound pretty easy. thanks.