Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Deep Breath
So, I mentioned that on Sunday my family took the opportunity to beat each other senseless with pool noodles. It was great fun and a wonderful stress reliever. But, perhaps some of you were wondering what may have brought on enough stress to whack my family around? Well, I didn't really beat the kids. But Hubby... well, that's a different story. He bore the brunt of my fury, and I did pack quite a bit of fury into those swipes.
You see this guy right here?
He would like to go back to school. Not just any school... law school. Please excuse me while I go do some deep breathing exercises. I'll be back momentarily.... in through nose.... exhale out through mouth... inhale positive energy... exhale negative energy.... and one last time.... iiiiinnnnnn.... and ooooouuuuuuut.
M'kay. I'm back. Thank you for your patience. Anyway, as I was saying, Hubby has decided that he would like to go back to school. He told me this on Saturday, hence the beating on Sunday. I'm actually not too upset about this new development. He had mentioned before that he would like to go back to school someday. I always smiled and said, "Yes dear." Because I thought he was talking about a few courses from the community college. Not actually returning to student living. Let this be a lesson to you... don't agree to ANYTHING unless you know all the details.
Where was I? Oh yes, law school. Things have been moving in the direction of change for quite awhile in our lives. Hubby had applied for several jobs, but they just didn't seem to really fit what we were looking for. I know there is no "perfect job", but we like to pretend it's out there somewhere. Anyway, the jobs just weren't working out. A friend from high school came a few weeks ago and he is going back to school next fall. Hubby and my friend chatted at length about it all. Seeds were planted. Who knew they would take root so fast?
Even though this is going to sound totally insane, I'm feeling okay with this right now. I'm a little worried about how we're going to make it all work, but I worry about that here and now too. Now, I want you to go ahead and tell me how insane we are. Or, if you'd rather try to make me feel better, you can tell me about something totally crazy you've done... but please, only share if it has a happy ending!

20 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I know exactly how you feel. 2 1/2 years into our marriage, Adam announced that he decided he wanted to be a fireman. We've compromised at Paramedic, but he will start a year long program in January. I never thought I would be 30, with a husband in school again.

I hope it will be OK!

Good luck!

Bonnie the Boss said...

WOW!!! Law school, what a huge commitment. It would be tough, but might just make you closer as a family. I know a gal through blogging who's husband is a lawyer, it might be good to chat with her.
Also pray about it, and if the answer is yes, jump in with both feet.
How long does it take? Why Law School?

Tonya said...

I can see why you are in need of some deep breathing. I'm thinking it's going to be tough but he has a great partner to help him through and it will be good in the long run.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Do it. My husband spent the first 9 years of our marriage in school. We managed. I remember at one point he said that he'd be 34 when he finally finished school. And I told him that he'd be 34 anyway.

He's a lot happier now that he is a chiropractor than he ever was working elsewhere.

... said...

i loved your deep breathing exercises in the middle of your post =)

law school, huh? has he had any desires towards law before? is there a school in your area he could take classes at? just curious. hope it all works out for all of you.

flip flop mama said...

Wow, that's big. But if it feels right to both of you, then do it. There are people in our ward that have done it with 4 kids but now the husband is so happy and it works out in the end. What's a few years in the grand scheme of things?

Heather said...

HEY, I knew a girl whose dad decided he wanted to be a dentist, a wife and 6 kids in tow. He graduated when she was 17 (she was the oldest) crazy but it worked out. So if it's meant to be you know and go for it with gusto!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You need to talk to Dedee whose brother went to Optometry school (four years of post-graduate study - thesis required - one year of moving every three months), in his early forties, with a wife and five kids in tow.

Sometimes crazy turns out pretty good. ~hugs~

You're allowed to have a mini-nervous breakdown over this though.

Anonymous said...

What a major life change! I guess if it's something he really wants to do, then he should. Good luck!

Yvonne said...

I'm sure it will mean a lot of sacrificing but it will definitely be worth it in the end. (And if you're both feeling good about it and know it is the right thing to do--go for it.

Adena and Greg said...

Sounds awesome. I've wanted to do the JD/MACC program (Law & Accounting)for years now, but can't really justify it since I'm not the main provider. I'm sure you would make it work.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, what a huge time commitment for the next few years. Of course, the rewards will be great but living as a student with children is tough. BUT if anyone can make it work, you can. Better to have a few years of sacrifice for him to follow his passion than to wander aimlessly his whole life.

Nancy Face said...

My friend's hubby recently graduated from law school, he just passed the bar, and he found a great job! He too had a job that wasn't working out for him and decided to go to law school after they had (I think) 3 children! Happy ending! :D

Blog Stalker said...

I had an uncle who at 30 decided to become a doctor. Gave up his small business went to school and completed medical school while his wife struggled right along with him. And now he loves what he does. They make an income over twice what they made before and is the picture of success, carrer and family in tact!

Happy so far....no ending in site I'm sure. I just know it was the best thing HE ever did for HIS family.

Have agreat day, and good luck!

Shannan said...

Okay, so I didn't know that you were a blogger! It's a good thing you put a picture of your Hubby on so I really knew it was you! I have also heard that story from my hubby, but he wants to go to school to be a pharmacist. We haven't had too many serious discussions about it yet, though. I think you can totally make it work, as long as you are both serious about it and you have some kind of time line to know when the end is!

Jean Knee said...

I've never done anything crazy so I'll have to live vicariously through you.

wynne said...

You knew my husband was a lawyer, right? And that when he finished law school (after YEARS of figuring out law school was what he wanted to do), it was his first job that took us to Washington? And he hated the first job and that's why we're in Spokane?

wynne said...

Change can be good. And law school is MUCH better than, say, medical school.

Where is he thinking of applying to?

(Maybe this'll get you out of California?)

Randi said...

You brave woman, you. Bless you.

Alysa@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

It's fun to finally be on your blog. I love it! Law school -- we've been through this discussion with my husband as well as mortician school, MBA, etc. I think it would be great. My dad wanted all of us children to go to law school because "it really teaches you how to think." As if I don't think already but maybe I need to think more?? Anyhow, I think the schooling time of life is great. I think it would be fun to do just so I can experience a new place. I would pick Boston. I'm sure you'll be prayerful about it and know what to do.