Friday, November 09, 2007

Totally Rockin Red
Today was HIS day! We got a letter a few weeks ago from his teacher letting us know that Red had been selected for student of the month. He said that we could tell him about it or let it be a surprise. Now, if any of you know me at all, you will know that there was NO WAY I was gonna tell him about this! He did ask me one day if I had gotten an email from his teacher. I told him no and asked why. He said, "Oh, just something about student of the month or something....". "Nope. No email." (Is that another lie? I guess not really... I DIDN'T get an email... it was a real letter...) Anyway, we showed up today and at first he didn't see us. Then they started the assembly and the principal told the kids to turn around and look at the "visitors". Red just kind of glanced at the parents and then he saw us. The look on his face was priceless! Shock, then happiness, then total excitement as he realized what was going to happen! It was fantastic!
Then tonight we had Pack Meeting for Cub Scouts. He got several awards and is getting really close to his advancement. It was fun to watch him and listen to the leaders praise him and his hard work. I still hate Scouts, but tonight was a good night.
Sometimes I think kids get the short end of the stick when it comes to rewards. When you do well at your job you get paid. And sometimes, if you do REALLY well, you get paid MORE! Kids get a gold star on their paper. A pat on the back. A "Good job." every now and again. I think that's why I enjoy these reward times so much. It's just a great way to show these kids just how awesome they are. And let me tell you, Red is TOTALLY AWESOME!!

9 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Way to go Red!

I'm the Wolf Leader and I still don't love scouts. I love working with the boys and all, but I hate Pack Meeting.

Tammy and Parker said...

Yea! Red! What a totally awesome kid!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

You're just bursting with pride - love it!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

Yay for Red! I remember how cool it was to be student of the month. My mom would put the "My kid was student of the month" bumper sticker on the car!

Anonymous said...

WAHOO!!!! Give him a great BIG hug from us!!!! And you are absolutely telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, when you say Red is TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY, INSIDE AND OUT, AWESOME!!!! :o) love & hugs

Tonya said...

YAY for Red!! What a "red" letter day for sure.

Anonymous said...

How great! This is such a proud moment for your family and Red! Good going!

Nancy Face said...

I'm so happy for Red! I love when kids receive the recognition they deserve! :)

Yvonne said...

Congrats Red. Don't you wish you caught a picture of the look on his face when he saw you--of course, I'm sure it's captured in your mind and will be there forever.