Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I'm Waiting For...
... Little Bug to go to sleep so that I can too.
... the principal to write me back about that crazy assembly.
... pay day this Friday.
... some perspective about some current school situations.
... a phone call from a support group that is forming to help parents with special need kids within our school district.
... the day when I don't have to tell my kids to pick up after themselves, turn lights off when they leave a room or just in general behave like human beings.
... confirmation that a package has arrived at my parents house containing late birthday and early mother's and father's day gifts.
... the wind to stop blowing so that I can go outside and finish refinishing my table and chairs.
... the energy to go through and type up all the recipes I promised to post... actually, I will give you the fried candy bars one right now. Are you ready?
Candy bars with carmel/nougat centers worked best. Take the candy bars and freeze them. Then you'll mix up funnel cake batter:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 quart oil for frying
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
(The original recipe can be found here... we fried up the rest of the batter when we were done... it didn't make the greatest funnel cake... so if you have a recipe that you really like, use that one) Heat up some oil to 375. Dip the candy bars in the batter and then deep fat fry till the coating is golden brown. You want the centers to still be cold... like fried ice cream. They were good, but SO RICH. I only had three bites and that was enough for me.
And what do you know... in the time it took me to type out that recipe, Little Bug has fallen asleep. Now, let us all cross our fingers and toes that he will stay asleep. He's gotten into a bad cycle - asleep at 11:00 PM. Awake at 3:00 AM. Won't go back to sleep till 7:00 AM when I need to get up and start my day. I can't sleep while he's awake. I'm always afraid he's going to try and escape... even though we now have wonderful door alarms... I still don't like sleeping if he's not. So, I'm off to try and catch a few z's!

11 comments:

Nancy Face said...

I'm first? WOW! :D

Nancy Face said...

I hope you got more than just a FEW zzz's! :)

Those fried candy bars sound positively scrumdidliumptious! :D

Tonya said...

I am no good at waiting. It requires this thing called patience which I seem to have in short supply these days :o)

The recipe looks super yummy. Hope you got some good sleep.

flip flop mama said...

Wow fried candy bar? Yum!! I hoep youg to a good night's sleep!

Jessica said...

that is quite a list you are waiting for! Good luck with that! Sorry to hear about little bug, it's so hard to be a sleep deprived mother!!!

... said...

i had never heard of fried candy bars before visiting a mall in kansas where they were offered. i thought it was the weirdest thing but of course, had to try them.

i thought the same as you... very rich, but yummy. i, too, only was able to eat a few bites.

hope everyone catches up on their zzzzzzz's.

Yvonne said...

Fried candy bars--wow. Not sure about them, though. I would just get addicted.

Hope you get some rest.

Lots of luck with having the kids turn off lights when they leave--mine have never understood that one ; )

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Owie! Really hope that pattern doesn't last long, you must be wiped!

Christy said...

Thanks for posting this recipe... I HAVE to try it soon! Looks like it would make a great FHE treat!

Good luck waiting for kids to grow up and be responsible... I don't see my kids breaking out of that pattern for a long time to come!

Unknown said...

That recipe = not good for the dieter. But man, it sounds GREAT!

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great nap!