Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Dragon-like
I've come to recognize something about myself... I used to think I was a pack rat. That I had to keep everything that ever came into my life, but I now recognize that that's not the case. I'm a dragon. I hoard. I don't hang on to everything, just a few select things. I'm specific about the things I gather around me. And I add to my hoard at a regular and rather alarming rate.
A few examples... I rather enjoy making jewelry - even though I don't wear it very often (anyone want some jewelry?!). And so, on occasion, I buy a few beads (few = many). I have boxes full... here, let me show you...
Oooohhhh.... pretty! Sparkly! Sigh :)
And then there's the books in this house. We have 5 bookshelves. When all the books are in their proper places (which they aren't) then the shelves are full. The one in my living room has books 2 deep on a couple of the shelves. Which, of course, means that it's time for another book shelf... and probably a few more books.
I've already blogged about my fabric stash on several occasions... and yes... it's grown in the last little while. Am I working on a project that needs fabric? Just one... a quilt for Red that's coming together rather slowly...
Did the fact that I don't NEED any fabric stop me from buying more? Yeah... I think you already know the answer to that one.
But this all has to stop. You see, last year my family did a dejunk-a-thon. Everyone participated and got rid of stuff, wrote it all down and whoever threw out the most items got movie tickets and $$ for dinner. We've all accumulated enough junk over the last year that we feel like we can do this again... but it will be a little different.
Everyone who participates is going to put $10 into the pot. We've created a point system for each item we get rid of and the person with the most points in the end, wins the entire pot. We're talking about anywhere from $60-100 depending on who all participates.
So, now I need to go through my hoards, get rid of stuff, win that money... and, of course, use it to replenish my stashes.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to curl up on top of my treasures and perhaps take a little dragon-ish nap. But, before I go, I'm curious... is there anything that you hoard??

14 comments:

Yvonne said...

I hang on to so many things. I really need to de-clutter. I know that one day Allan and I will sell our house and move into an apartment and I'm not about to rent a storage unit, so I better start learning how to get rid of stuff. (maybe proposing that de-junk-a-thon would work with my family.

I have crafts that I started YEARS ago.

Anonymous said...

this is going to be a tight contest!!! lol :o)

Jean Knee said...

I hoard anything craft related


all over the place, in every room

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

For me it's anything a memory is tied to. I have all my old report cards and all sorts of other bits of paper. So yeah, paper in general, I'd say.

I'm thinking it's a good thing I haven't learned how to sew yet. Fabric makes for a much prettier collection...

flip flop mama said...

Yarn.

kailani said...

I've never thought to hang my fabrics up like that. That must make it so much easier to see what you have!

Nancy Face said...

Fun, fun post! LOVE THE QUILT! Your bead stash and fabric stash put mine to shame, haha! :D

I hoard DVD's because I hate TV! :)

Adena and Greg said...

Mugs. Why I don't know. We never use them since it's always a bajillion degrees where I live.

And I would love to go see Wicked with you. Here's the problem. We're in the middle of buying a home and we're really watching our spending. My frivolous and practical sides are battling. I'll let you know who is victorious.

Randi said...

ok, that quilt is amazing.

I mostly hoard sonic cups. On the backseat floor of my van.

I guess maybe I should rethink that. How many points for sonic cups?

... said...

for me, it's scrapbooking supplies. i have a good number of books, too, but they're mostly ones i haven't read yet or church reference books. i hardly ever read a book twice.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't call myself a hoarder and I have no problem getting rid of things (almost to a fault). However, my big weakness is organization (or lack thereof). I am notoriously disorganized!!!!

i said...

oh no. i relate! ';)

Bonnie the Boss said...

I too have dragon like qualities! I have never thought of it like that before!
Beads
Books
Antiques
just crap in general!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Oh, and buttons! They are as great as beads for therapy.