Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Simply Sweet
Okay people... you asked for it! But, there are two things you should know -
First: I do NOT make pie crusts. I can get two deep dish crusts at the grocery store for $1.09. There is no way I'm gonna make a crust that will be gross (because every pie crust I have ever tried to make has been GROSS) when I can get decent ones for cheap.
Second: This is my creation. I mixed two recipes and then added a bunch of my own stuff and then played with it till it morphed into this...
You may not like it, but we LOVE IT! So... on with the recipe!

Carmel Apple Pie
5 cups apples, peeled and sliced (I usually use a tart apple, like Granny Smith because the pie is so sweet)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup flour
2 TBSP sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
3 TBSP butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon - I usually use 1 tsp. because we love the cinnamon flavor
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. nutmeg - again, we use the 1/4
Directions: Mix brown sugar, lemon juice and water in a pot and bring to a full boil. Let boil for about 3-5 minutes or till at soft ball candy stage. Add flour, sugar, salt, butter or margarine, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Let boil till thick and bubbly. Add apples and mix till coated. Bring to a boil again till apples are slightly tender and carmel is again thick.
Pour into prepared pie crust - I usually use 9" deep dish.
Preheat oven at 400
Crumb topping:
1/3 cup white sugar
3/4 cup flour
5 TBSP butter or margarine
Mix sugar and flour together and then cut in butter or margarine till crumbly. Sprinkle over top of pie.
Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Then turn oven down to 375 and finish baking for 15-20 minutes. Topping will be golden brown and apples very tender. We usually serve it with a big scoop of ice cream. If something on here doesn't make sense, email me and I'll correct it or try to explain. I think I'm going to go eat the last piece right now!

14 comments:

Yvonne said...

I'M SOOOOOOOOOO GLAD you didn't expect us to make our own crust--I am the worse crust maker. It looks so delicious. I'll have to try it. I am so glad you gave us the recipe. Thanks.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

It was a bad idea to read this before having lunch. My stomach is roiling now. It wants pie. It's getting a turkey and provolone sandwich. Poor tummy.

Thanks for the recipe you fabulous creature you!

Madam Crunchypants said...

Sounds absolutely incredible. I'm sure glad I have a turkey wrap waiting to eat that will totally not hit the spot.

... said...

i LOVE apple pie (with caramel, even better). but i have never been good at making them. part of it is i'm just not much of a baker. but i think i will try to make this. it sounds so yummy!

Jean Knee said...

it should be illegal to post a pic of something that looks that luscious

Tonya said...

Oh my, that looks delicious. I love caramel apple pie. I soooo love all things fall and this is just one of the best!!

I couldn't agree more about the crust. Why re-invent the wheel when someone already slaved over a hot oven to make some pie crusts for me.

Heather said...

I guess I'm in the minority cuz I despise all the store bought crusts I have ever had.

The pie looks delish I think I'll have to try it soon, and I have a fab Low(er) fat crust recipe that is totally easy- if you ever want it.

Nancy Face said...

I have never made a pie since my first attempt---one of those "Cool Whip" cream pie recipes that tragically sagged and ran over the edges of the pie pan in gooey globs of grossness, ending up on the counter. But that's okay, because my hubby bakes beautiful pies, and I'm happy to let him keep on doing it, haha! So I gawked at the picture of your gorgeous pie, and now I can go to sleep and dream of it, and I don't have to lift a finger...until it's time to eat my hubby's next creation, tee hee! :D

Mandy Abbott said...

OH man Melissa... I seriously am reading this after I just watched "The Biggest Loser!" Now I feel guilty for even looking at that delicious, gooey, melt in your mouth kind of pie! (Someone get me something sweet to eat before I freak out!!) Don't worry, I'm going to bake it and my family and I will eat every bite and love every second of it!!! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Anonymous said...

Looks divine!

Randi said...

YUM!! Thanks SO much for the recipe!! I will definitely try this. I love apple anything. Especially in the autumn.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Should I admit that I make my own crusts? Ducking and running now... This looks fabulous. I'm definitely trying this one.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Crusty Melissa!

I use this pat-in-the-pan recipe with Crisco bars and I've never had a problem with it. Now, double crust pies are a different story. Know what I do? I'm super lazy so I make a crumble top with brown sugar and cinnmaon instead of topping it with more crust.

Anonymous said...

Love the new masthead! And this pie sounds divine! I'm wiping the drool off my keyboard.