Sunday, October 25, 2009

Why We Love Sale-ing
Yeah... that says "sale-ing". And yes. I know it's not a real word to most people... but it is to us! You see, I grew up with a mom who LOVES to get a good deal. And so, garage sale shopping comes natural to her. When I was growing up it was frustrating at times... people would ask where I had gotten my J. Crew jeans (there wasn't a J. Crew for hundreds of miles) and instead of telling the truth, "My mom scored these at a yard sale for .50! Awesome, eh??" I would just kind of blow it off... "I don't know. My mom got them for me somewhere..." and then I'd change the subject as quickly as possible.
Now that I'm older I don't care who knows that most of our possessions are 2nd hand... in fact, I'm pretty proud of the fact that I can save a buck or two or more... sometimes a lot more.
For example... Baby Girl got some money for her birthday. She wanted to get one of those stuffed Littlest Pets. She had $10 and that was the exact price of the stuffed animals at WalMart. I told her to hang on to her cash and we could look around a little before she spent all of her money.
The Saturday after her birthday we went out garage sale shopping and stumbled on a sale that had stuffed animals for a quarter a piece. They had SIX Littlest Pet stuffed animals! So, for $1.50 she got $60 worth of toys! She had enough left to go get one of the smaller plastic animals at Target and she's still got $2 that she's saving for our next "sale-ing" trip.
Maybe it's genetic... but man! I love a good deal! And it appears that Baby Girl likes the idea too :)

11 comments:

Alysa@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

LOVE this! I'm a lover of sale-ing, as you know, but I tend to purchase too much. Yesterday I got a surger for $5. Is that cool or what? I need to figure out how to use it. Maddie is going to die when she sees all the LPS's you got. She got an LPS house yesterday for $1 and she was so excited. 7:00 a.m. is our girl time and we are loving it. Sounds like you have a partner in crime too. It's so good, isn't it? I'm so grateful that we do this and we can find such amazing items here. It truly is a blessing.

Alysa@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

This is Madison. Is Emma lucky or what!!!!!! I thought I was lucky when I got the LPS house but she got 6 new VIP's for $1.50. Unbelievable! LUCKY YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachelle@atticgals.blogspot.com said...

"Saleing" is absolutely a word in my vocabulary. Did you see that darling peach and black blouse I was wearing today? Yep, you guessed it. Yesterday for $2. Gotta love it!

Adena and Greg said...

I'm seriously going to come over on a Saturday morning to go "saleing" with you. Probably in about 2-3 weeks. I'll call ya!

Unknown said...

$1.50 for $60 worth of clothes? That is seriously AMAZING!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I have an uncle who is a pro at sale-ing, and always finds something neat for my boys. I've never gotten into it, but I'm sure it would help my meager budget!

Yvonne said...

Hooray for you and Baby Girl (and your mom, too ; )

"Sale-ing" is a big thing here, but the season is VERY short.

flip flop mama said...

Awesome! What a deal!

Shannan said...

So cool! You must have the saleing talent in your family.

i said...

i love sale-ing. finding a good deal brings me GREAT satisfaction! :) hooray for you baby girl!

Nancy Face said...

SCORE! :)

I'm all about the sale-ing, too! :)